Sunday, September 7, 2008

046: Peer: Glass


Peer: Glass, originally uploaded by gingerpig2000.

Asymmetric

Our bathroom door is such a useful thing, it has appeared in so many of my images in many guises and disguises. This is the most mysterious so far. The hardest bit was sitting on the floor while I experimented with the positioning of me and the camera, but in the end I chose the second I took.

Notice the kind of waterfall effect of the light above my head? That was due to my Sony and its habit of corrupting some picture. The other, perfect shots I discarded in favour of this one. What is inspiration? Everything you deliberately choose to do or also what happens when you choose a deliberate path. I know that some of the shots will have the defect, yet I choose to keep on using that camera, nothing more than taking advantage of your camera's or your photo processing program's functions, except you can neve be sure when it will happen.

It is like using a special prop, the art is in how you use it, not in the fact that you have got it. Here I applied my art to the effect, draining the image of colour, tinting it and then putting two images in one, at different width compressions. I have no guide as to how to do it, no training, nothing more than experimenting with paints and deciding how best to use them to create an effect that I may not have consciously conceived off prior to the editing process. But the ideas were conceived.

No comments: