Wednesday, September 24, 2008

066: Red Hat


Red Hat, originally uploaded by gingerpig2000.

If I catch you wearing this...

It's amazing what I can find to fit in my wife's wardrobe ;)

Clothed and closed are very similar-sounding words, and the clothes you can wear depend a lot on how much society closes its minds. Different cultures have different mores, and even these vary with time. What I do not understand is the problem that people have with clothes - why can I not be free to wear whatever clothes I like without threatening the very structure of society itself. Society, in reality, is very flexible when push comes to shove, and I want to do some shoving.

The other element of this picture is that wearing the same clothes is a symbol of the single unit that out marriage represents. There is no leader, no his and hers, we do what we can, the best we can. Interestingly enough, society seeks to lever this unity apart by insisting that roles and clothes be assigned to suit them, and not our own preferences and abilities.

This was an interesting shot, as we had to position ourselves in a 3D space to produce a dynamic in an essentially 2D medium, some of the pose elements would appear artificial from another viewpoint. See the major power triangle with Ania's elbow, my hat and my lower foot. Luckily, as long as I can keep the major positioning in mind, my subconscious takes care of the details. Ania, though, has her own influence on the image, completely outside of my control.

No comments: